The need for qualified healthcare workers continues to rise to meet the ever increasing needs of the healthcare industry, and the current demand for Medical Laboratory Technicians surpasses the number of trained technicians available. A Medical Laboratory Technician is a healthcare professional who performs diagnostic analyses on blood and other body fluid specimens.
CERTIFICATES AND DEGREES
Associate in Applied Science Degree plan
Program/Certificate Requirements: All courses for the degree must be passed with a final grade of “C” or better in order to graduate from the Medical Laboratory Technician program and/or certificates.
NATURE OF WORK
Graduates of the Medical Laboratory Technician program will be trained to work in medical laboratory, use laboratory equipment, prepare and analyze various specimens and identify abnormalities in samples such as malignancies, infections or genetic abnormalities.
Admission requirements for the Medical Laboratory Technician program includes the following:
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- An overall 2.5 GPA or higher before MLT coursework begins.
- Schedule an interview with the Program Director.
- A complete healthcare worker background screening, drug screening and additional health policy requirements including a physical exam and immunizations is required after acceptance into the program, and before the established deadline.
- Attend the mandatory MLT New Student Orientation session held before coursework begins.
The MLT Program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, Tel. (773) 714-8880, Fax (773) 714-8886 or email NAACLS.
RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS
- MLT Program Essential Functions
- Transcript Evaluation Request
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Waiver
- Health Policy Requirements
- Physical Examination & Immunizations for MLT
- SRC MLT Student Handbook
- SRC MLT Clinical Rotation Handbook
Medical Laboratory Technicians work in:
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Physician Offices and Medical Clinics