Spoon River College has established testing and placement criteria to assess reading level, math proficiency, and writing skills. This is done to ensure students are placed in courses where they can reach their potential and achieve their educational goals.
SRC accepts ACT, SAT, Accuplacer, and previous college course credit to determine placement. SRC will also review high school GPA and math courses to assist in placement determination. If a student’s ACT/SAT scores, high school GPA/math courses, and previous college coursework do not meet placement requirements, completion of the Accuplacer test will be required prior to registration. For more information about the Accuplacer test, please review the Accuplacer Student Guide.
Taking the Accuplacer Test
Testing is done on a walk-in basis from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in the Student Services Department at the Spoon River College Canton and Macomb campuses. Please call the Havana and Rushville sites to set up an appointment time during their regular office hours at the numbers listed below. Remember to bring a photo ID to test.
Spoon River College Course Placement Guidelines
|Subject Area||2014 GED-College Ready Score*||PWR Act-Transitional Codes**||High School Final GPA||Next GenerationAccuplacer||ACT||SAT (prior to 3/2016)||SAT (after 3/2016)||Course Placement|
|N/A||200-230||MAT011 or MAT012|
|N/A||231-250||MAT015 or MAT016|
|145 - 164 (Math)||N/A||251-270||MAT060 or MAT061|
|165+ (Math)||TM002||N/A||271+||19+ (Math)||480+(Math)||480+(Math)||College Level Ready- MAT102, MAT125, or MAT132|
|165+ (Math)||TM001||N/A||271+||19+ (Math)||480+|
|College Level Ready - MAT102, MAT125, or MAT132|
|N/A||200-228||SDRT required to determine reading level|
|145 - 164 (RLA)||N/A||229-259||RDG099;SDRT optional|
|165+ (RLA)||3.0 CGPA||260+||19+ (Reading)||380+ (Reading)||21+ (Reading)||College Level Ready|
|145 - 164 (RLA)||2.70-2.99 CGPA||237-262||ENG099/ENG101 Combo or ENG091|
|165+ (RLA)||3.0 CGPA||263+||19+ (English)||450+ (English)||26+ (English)||College Level Ready|
*GED-College Ready Score Placement is for the 2014 GED version
**Must be transcripted on the final high school transcript within the past 18 months with a grade of a C or better. SRC also accepts TM003 – Tech Math courses for placement in GT150. However, GT150 does not require a prerequisite or placement testing.
Placement Testing Accommodations
Students with a documented disability may be eligible to receive accommodations on the Accuplacer test. If a student believes he/she is in need of accommodations for placement testing, he/she needs to provide current documentation of their disability prior to their testing date. Documentation requirements may be obtained by visiting the disAbility Support Services webpage, or by contacting the disAbility Services advisor at (309) 649-6305.
Students placing into two or more developmental courses are required to enroll in College and Career Success (LA 103). This course provides tools for transition into college instruction for learning strategies, goal attainment, and success in college.
Accuplacer Retest Policy
If you feel your placement does not accurately reflect your ability, you may retest one time in that subject area. There will be a $5.00 fee assessed for each portion of the Accuplacer that is retested. You will not be charged the retest fee if you have completed a course since your initial testing date in the subject area you wish to retest in.
Request to Have Accuplacer Score Sent to Another School
If you wish to have your Accuplacer scores sent to another college, please fill out the Accuplacer Score Release Form and return it either:
- in person to the Student Services Department on the Canton campus,
- fax it to (309) 649-6393,
- or mail it to: SPOON RIVER COLLEGE TESTING CENTER, 23235 N COUNTY HIGHWAY 22, CANTON IL 61520
Spoon River College Proficiency Exams
- A proficiency exam application form, available in Student Services, must be submitted to the Dean of Student Services to obtain approval for the exam.
- An applicant must be a SRC student and a high school graduate or hold a GED certificate. Students are not permitted to repeat unsuccessful attempts on exams within a period of one calendar year.
- Credit by examination will not be permitted for a course where the student has enrolled in the course and remains in the course past the add/drop dates for that course, or has taken or is currently enrolled in a higher-level course.
|Course||Course Name||Credit Hour|
|HS 101||First Aid||2|
|GT 150||Applied Mathematics||3|
|CSC101||Intro to Computers||3|
Spoon River College offers exam proctoring services at all campus sites, including our Outreach Centers, for students taking courses at other institutions.
- Please contact these office numbers for specific site testing procedures:
- Appointments can be made once SRC has received the exam.
- A photo ID will be required before the exam will be administered.
- A $20.00 fee is required at the time of testing.
- All of the testing institution directions will be followed.
(These links are not owned or managed by Spoon River College. We are not responsible for their content or appearance.)
Accuplacer Test Preparation Resources
The best way to prepare for the Accuplacer is to review sample questions at the following website:
https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students or download the app at: https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/accuplacer/accuplacer-study-app-flyer.pdf?ep_ch=PR&ep_mid=11282515&ep_rid=270945767.
Other Assessment Tests
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEASV): All first-year nursing students will be required to take the TEASV test prior to entry into the nursing program. Skills tested include: math, reading comprehension, critical thinking, and test-taking. The scores from this test will be used in the rating scale for admission and also may determine a need for the student to take other remedial courses. A fee is charged for this test. For additional information and testing dates visit the Nursing Program.
- Career Planning: A variety of written and computerized career assessments are available to any in-district resident. SRC also has several online career inventories for which students can request passwords to that will work on any computer.
- Advanced Placement Program: This program and associated tests are offered only in high schools. Students who have participated in the AP program may be eligible to receive credit and advanced placement at SRC on the basis of subject area examinations.