Thank you for choosing Spoon River College and thank you for your service to our country. Spoon River Student Services will strive to provide you accessible and comprehensive student services on each of our campuses. Below you will find valuable information on college credit for military service, education benefits, and other services of interest to military personnel.

Spoon River College Veteran’s Services

Charlie Cox, Spoon River College Veteran’s Advisor
Centers Building, Office of Financial Aid​
Canton Campus
(309) 649-6267
Joseph Shelko, Financial Aid Veterans Specialist
Financial Aid Office, Student Services
Macomb Campus
208 South Johnson
Macomb, IL 61455
(309) 833-6073

Veteran’s Newsletter

Veteran Service Providers at Spoon River College

Veterans Education Programs & Credit for Military Training

Certain experiences in military service may be submitted to the Registrar for evaluation. Coursework applicable to a Spoon River College curriculum which was taken through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) or under the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) may be given credit provided the course is recommended by the American Council on Education. Official transcripts and a request for evaluation are required. Submit official transcripts of satisfactory com​pletion of the work to the Admissions & Records Office.

Credit for four semester hours of physical education will be awarded to members or former members of the U.S. Armed Forces who have completed six months or more of active duty and have been honorably discharged. The student must provide the Veteran’s Certifying Official with a request for this credit and a copy of their separation papers (Form DD214). The veteran/service person should access one of the following web sites to have his/her military education credits sent to the Spoon River College Admissions Office to be evaluated for college credit.

The AARTS is for Army, Army National Guard, reserves; and SMART are for Navy or Marine veterans. The Air Force veterans need to write the CCAF at the address listed below. This should be done before registering for classes or as soon as possible after first semester of attendance to avoid taking classes already covered by your military education.

Spoon River College will accept College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Defense Activity for Non-traditional Education Support (DANTES) exams as equivalents for many of its courses. A minimum score of 50 is required on all CLEP exams except for certain foreign language exams. A minimum score of B-Grade equivalent is required for all DANTES exams. The CLEP and DANTES transcripts must be sent directly to the Registration Office.

Education Benefits for Veterans

Spoon River College is approved for veterans’ education benefits through the Illinois State Approving Agency.  Any veteran who thinks s/he may be eligible for federal benefits may obtain information and applications through the Financial Aid Office. To maintain eligibility, students who are veterans must be enrolled in an eligible program, attend classes regularly, and be making satisfactory academic progress. Students who wish to use Veterans Benefits while at Spoon River College must complete a Veterans Benefit Selection Form each semester. You can complete this form here, using this digital Veterans' Benefit Selection form.

(If you prefer to fill the form by hand, hard copies are available in the Financial Aid Office or you can print and complete this PDF version Veteran Benefit Selection Form.)

    Spoon River participates in the following education benefit programs:

  • Illinois Veteran’s Grant – This award will pay the full tuition and applicable fees for Illinois veterans attending SRC part-time or full-time. Any veteran who entered the armed forces as an Illinois resident and who served at least 12 months and returned to Illinois within six months of separation may qualify for this program. A copy of the discharge papers, DD214, showing an honorable discharge, and proof of state residency must accompany the application for the award.
  • Illinois National Guard Grant – This award applies to tuition and applicable fees charged for attending SRC part-time or full-time. Eligibility requires that the recipient must be a member of the Illinois National Guard for at least one year, must continue to be a member for the duration of the scholarship and fill out this application.
  • MIA-POW Scholarship – This award applies to in-district tuition and applicable fees. Eligibility requires that the recipient must be the spouse or child of an eligible veteran. Information and application may be obtained through the Financial Aid Office.

Please Note: Some veterans’ organizations such as American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars offer financial assistance for education to veterans and their dependents. The college recommends that these organizations be contacted directly through the local chapters located in our district communities for additional information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

How does a student become eligible for VA Education Benefits?

The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) makes all determinations of eligibility for education benefits. To receive your GI Bill education benefits, you need to start the process by completing the VA Application Form. Students can apply online at GI Bill website. Applications should be completed 8-10 weeks prior to the term for which benefits are requested. Eligible persons are reminded that the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will not pay benefits for repeated or audited courses. In addition, benefits for short courses–those that do not meet for the entire term–will be paid for only the days that the class meets.

When will a student be certified?

Students that are eligible for Veterans educational benefits must contact the Spoon River College Veteran’s Advisor in order to receive them. Once students are registered for their courses for the term, their enrollment will be certified by the student’s veteran’s service representative. Students may be certified up to 120 days prior to the start of the term. Certification means that certifying official will notify the VA of your enrollment. The actual time it takes for you to receive your benefits is dependent upon the VA.

Beginning August 1, 2019, and despite any policy to the contrary, Spoon River College will not take any of the following actions toward any student using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (CH33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employement (CH31) benefits, while their payment from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs is pending to the educational institution:

  • Prevent their enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require they secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce teh VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies (see our VA School Certifying Official for all requirements).

Should a student apply for financial aid if they plan on receiving VA education benefits?

Yes, VA benefits may not be sufficient to cover all educational costs. VA students are paid benefits based on the number of approved credit hours they carry and not on the cost of the school they choose to attend.

How much will I be paid if I qualify for benefits?

Your monthly benefit will be based on the type of training you take, the length of your service, category, enrollment status, and if DOD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called “kicker”). Students can be full-time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time or less than 1/2 time. Visit the Education Benefit Payment Rates page.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​