Spoon River College takes student complaints very seriously and works with students to resolve formal complaints in a timely manner. The complaint process is a means for students to bring forward any concerns or file a formal complaint that pertains to alleged violations of State consumer protection laws that include but are not limited to fraud and false advertising; alleged violations of State laws or rules related to the licensure of postsecondary institutions; and complaints relating to the quality of education or other State or accreditation requirements.

Spoon River College has established grievance procedures to resolve academic and non-academic issues and to maintain campus safety and preserve the integrity of the College and its educational environment.  9.1.10 Student Grievance Procedure

Students, or consumers, who have a complaint they are trying to resolve with a specific community college are encouraged to try to resolve their issues through their institution’s formal grievance procedures.  If the issue is not resolved through this process, students may file a formal complaint with the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB).  ICCB may then contact the institution on the student’s behalf.  If you are an out of state student taking an online class and you have a complaint which has not been resolved through the college’s grievance procedures, you may file a complaint with the state in which you reside; Student Complaint Information by State.  You may also contact the Illinois Community College Boardwhen seeking a resolution.

The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is the outside entity responsible for the accreditation of programs offered by Spoon River College. Accredited institutions are required to submit progress reports, monitoring reports, contingency reports, and annual reports. At times, HLC receives complaints from students or other parties. When a complaint raises issues regarding an institution’s ability to meet accreditation criteria, HLC will forward a copy of the complaint to the institution and request a form response. Complaints may be filed with Higher Learning Commission online.​

To file a complaint use this:

Student Complaint Form