The Commercial Driver Training (CDT) certificate program is designed to offer individuals basic knowledge of the principles, techniques, and skills necessary for safe, efficient operation of tractor-trailer vehicles. The curriculum includes: CDL permit preparation, hazardous materials training, Department of Transportation federal regulations, logging, and trip planning. Extensive hands-on driving experience both on the range and on the road is also included. The CDT classes ensure the students have a broad-based knowledge of the concepts and skills necessary to become safe, efficient commercial drivers.
Commercial Driver Training Facility
Located at 1240 S 4TH AVE Canton Illinois 61520
Direct line: (309) 647-2794
Certificates and Degrees
Nature of Work
Businesses rely on truck drivers for the delivery and pickup of goods. Even if goods travel in part by ship, train or airplane, trucks carry nearly all goods at some point in their journey from producer to customer. Drivers report equipment that is inoperable, missing or loaded improperly to the dispatcher. The length of each transport may vary. Local drivers may provide daily service for a specific route, while other drivers travel throughout various regions of the country. This program is part of the Transportation, Distribution & Logistics Career Cluster.
Qualifications: Must have a valid Illinois Drivers License and no history of drug use (including marijuana or cannabis infused products). License must not expire within 1 year prior to start date of class.
- Over-the-road driver
- Long distance driver
- Local delivery driver
- Fleet service technician
- Fleet manager
- Trucking dispatcher
Funding Sources for CDT
Bank Loans – Contact your local bank for personal loan information.
Many trucking companies offer 100% tuition reimbursement programs as part of their benefit package.
- This program is offered as a sign-on bonus to attract new drivers
- Tuition reimbursement usually begins after the student has been on the job for 90 days
- The program pays you back at a rate of approximately $100.00 per month as long as you are employed
- There are no contracts to sign & no obligation to stay
- Current companies offering the full tuition reimbursement are: Sharkey Transport, DOT Foods, Roehl Transport, Paschall Truck Lines, & USA Truck Inc.
- Call Spoon River College for more details: (309) 647-2794
MAP Grants are available for CDL training.
Current tuition for CDL training is $4,850 plus fees.
Career Link Grant
- Career Link – Fulton County 111 N. Main St. Canton, IL. 61520 (309) 647-2946
- Career Link – Mason County 230 W. Main St. Havana, IL. 62644 (309) 543-1035
- Career Link – Peoria County 115 S.W. Adams Room 114 Peoria, IL 61602 (309) 999-4592
- Career Link-Tazewell County 2956 Court St. Sunset Plaza Pekin, IL 61554 (309) 347-8492
- Cass County JTPA 201 State St. Beardstown, IL. 62618 (217) 323-5844
- Job Service – Tazewell County 200 S. 2nd St. Suite 10 Pekin, IL. 61555 (800) 662-1882
Workforce Investment Grant
- 311 E. Main – Suite 612 Galesburg, IL. 61401 (309) 343-9832
- 440 N. Lafayette Macomb, IL. 61455 (309) 837-1280
- 620 S. Main St. Monmouth, IL. 61462 (309) 734-4745
- 206 S.W. Cross Mount Sterling, IL. 62353 (217) 773-3141
- 503 Schuyler St. Oquawka, IL. 61469 (800) 577-7946
- 211 Fulton Pl. Peoria, IL. 61602 (309) 343-3100
- 114 N. Congress Rushville, IL. 62681 (217) 322-6916
- 115 S. Franklin St. Toulon, IL. 61483 (309) 301-4043
Illinois Department of Human Services Grant
Must have a mental, physical, learning, or social disability/impairment or recovering addiction to qualify.
- 477 E. Main St. Galesburg, IL. 61401 (309) 343-2193
- 1200-1 W. Jackson Macomb, IL. 61455 (309) 833-4573
- 2970 Court St. Pekin, IL. 61554 (309) 353-5996
- 535 W. Jefferson Springfield, IL. 62702 (217) 782-4830
National Farm Workers Grant
For current or past agriculture workers.
Community Action Partnership Grant
- 1800 5th St. Lincoln, IL. 62656 (217) 732-2159 Ext. 291
Farm Bureau – IIA Scholarship