Each year, a student election is held at Spoon River College to elect a Student Trustee (term is served April – April of each calendar year). Petitions may be picked up each year beginning February, and voting takes place online in early March.
- Attend Board of Trustees Meetings on a monthly basis and as needed at other times
- Update the Board of Trustees on college events and student life activities
- Represent the student body on the Student Government Association in either Canton or Macomb
- Gain leadership skills
- Further the interests and promote the welfare of SRC students
- Opportunities to attend state student trustee meetings and conferences
- Receive a one-year stipend toward your tuition and fees for up to 30 credit hours (not to exceed a pre-determined amount for each semester).
2020-2021 Spoon River College Student Trustee
Educational background and future plans:
Jaylen Lyttaker graduated from Rushville-Industry High School and is attending Spoon River College to obtain an Associate's degree in education and plans to transfer to a four-year university with options open for a music education degree. Jaylen's future goal is to become a successful and inspirational education professional.
Reasons for running for student trustee:
Jaylen is running for student trustee to help the students have a voice. Jaylen wants to be able to establish a collaboration between the students and the faculty and staff, and he would do this by stepping out of his own comfort zone and speak with his fellow peers to gather views and opinions and relate the data to the board of trustees.
Jaylen is able to balance his schedule amongst being a fulltime student at SRC, working a part-time job, and volunteering as an assistant coaching, team skill and leadership building, and through high school activities. Jaylen was a state qualifier in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) and was the president of the high school yearbook.