SRC Counseling Services can offer a brief solution-based approach to therapy for students free of charge. That means that we provide up to 45 minutes per session of individual counseling to each student as needed. Each student has their own unique needs and how often each student meets for services is determined with the counselor and based on the challenges that the student is facing.
All counseling records are kept strictly confidential and are not part of the College records. Information is shared only with a student’s written permission. Exceptions to confidentiality are rare and include when a person poses a threat to his/her own safety or the safety of others, or when ordered by a Court.
Hours and Appointments
Counseling Services are available Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 3:30 pm, by appointment both in person and virtually. Appointments can be made by calling (309) 649-6225. If you need immediate assistance outside of normal business hours due to a crisis situation, please contact 911 for emergency services.
Eligibility and Cost
Confidential, time-limited counseling services are available free of charge to all currently enrolled students. Sessions are limited to 10 per student, per semester. Counseling can only be provided to those that reside in Illinois.
Counseling Services provides free, brief, confidential, accessible and professional therapy directed at helping students succeed in the college environment. When specialized, long term services are needed, we can assist in making referral to off-campus professionals.
Phone: (309) 649-6225
If you or someone you know is in need of counseling services, please contact us.
Our mission is to provide professional mental health counseling and consultation services for our campus community that address the emotional and behavioral needs of our students.
Student Optional Disclosure of Private Mental Health
Public Act 099-0278: Student Optional Disclosure of Private Mental Health Act (MHA)
Spoon River College is required to provide the Student Optional Disclosure of Private Mental Health Information to all newly-enrolled students.
In accordance with the Student Optional Disclosure of Private Mental Health Act, an institution of higher learning may disclose mental health information if a physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner makes a determination that the student poses a clear danger to himself, herself, or others.
What Information Will Be Disclosed
Spoon River College (SRC) is providing students the written opportunity to authorize the disclosure of certain private mental health information to a designated person of their choosing by completing and filing a Mental Health Act Disclosure Form. This allows students to designate a person(s) to whom SRC may disclose certain private mental health information under the following circumstances:
- The disclosed student poses a clear danger to oneself or others.
- Protection is needed for the disclosed student or another person from a clear, imminent risk of serious mental or physical injury, disease or death.
- If the physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner has made a determination that a student poses a clear, imminent danger to himself, herself, or others, the designated person will be contacted and notified as soon as possible but no more than 24 hours after making the determination.
- Students are not required to designate a person. Should a student choose to designate a contact person, it can be anyone over the age of 18 (e.g., parent, sibling, friend, etc.).
- Students may change their designation at any time.
- Please note that SRC reserves the right to contact the student’s designated emergency contact as required or permitted by law.
- Completed form will be sent to Spoon River College, Admissions Office, 23235 N. Co 22, Canton, IL 61520
- Authorization to release information does not expire unless the student signs the form revoking the authorization.
- Student may revoke the authorization at any time by sending a written request to the same address.
- Form does not allow the third party access to other student record information from Spoon River College.