Who should become a TRIO student?
All participants must be:
A United States citizen or permanent resident, enrolled at Spoon River College, and meet one or more of these criteria:
What are the benefits of being a TRIO student?
- Specialized Orientation Program
- Academic Enrichment Workshops
- Supplemental Basic Skills Instruction with our Instructional Specialists in Reading, Writing, and Math
- Intensive Academic Advising & Course Selection Assistance
- Individual Learning Plans
- Degree, Grade, and Attendance Monitoring
- Financial Aid Exploration & Assistance in Completing FAFSA & Other Aid/Scholarship Forms
- Financial/Economic Literacy Education
- Grant Aid to Supplement any Unmet Financial Need (to those who qualify)
- Advisement on Transferring to a Four-Year College/University
- Campus Visits to Prospective Transfer Colleges
- Career Exploration, Planning, and Advising
- Off-Campus Cultural Activities
- Appropriate Accommodations for Students with Special Needs
- Referrals to Local Agencies
- Textbook Library
- Instructional Aides
- Exclusive for our Students-Printing privileges within the TRIO-SSS Office
How long does the program last?
The program lasts from the time you are accepted till the time you graduate and transfer to a four year college! We can help to make your college experience more efficient and successful through tutoring, advising, and degree monitoring. You will have opportunities to attend academic enrichment workshops on a wide range of useful topics including time management, study skills, and stress management. You also will become more knowledgeable about a variety of financial topics, including financial aid exploration, scholarships, creating a budget, and paying off debt. We will help you plan for your future through transfer advising, tours of four-year colleges, and career advising. We can even make sure you have fun along the way by taking you to cultural activities, such as plays, musical performances, and museums.
How to apply?
Application/ Intake Process (interview/ILP, etc.)
The application process begins with the Student Support Services Application. You can download and print the application from here, or obtain a paper application by visiting Room 214 located on the top floor of Spoon River College, on the Macomb campus.
TRIO/SSS Application SRC-web version.pdf
Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, dropped off in Room 214 or mailed to: Spoon River College, Attn: Jennifer Cunningham, 208 S. Johnson Street, Macomb, IL 61455.
After submitting your application, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment for an intake interview with the Program Director and Program Advisor. They will talk with you about your educational background, academic needs, and future plans. The interview lasts approximately 60 minutes. Students will be notified by email after a decision about acceptance has been made.