Disability Support

disAbility Support Services (DSS)

Disability counselor with student

Spoon River College is committed to providing support services to ensure that qualified students with documented disabilities have equal access to all educational opportunities offered by the college. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Spoon River College does not discriminate against individuals with disabilities, and provides reasonable accommodations to assist students in accessing the college admissions process, courses, and activities.

Who is eligible for services?

A student with a documented disability is eligible to receive reasonable accommodations if the disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity.

When should I request services?

It is recommended that students request services/accommodations prior to the beginning of the semester, although they can be requested at any time throughout the semester. Some accommodations take longer to institute than others (e.g. audio books, interpreters), so if not requested before classes begin, the student may not have the opportunity to experience the full benefit of the accommodation.

How do I request services?

If a student wishes to receive services and/or accommodations, they must submit documentation of their disability to the disAbility Services Advisor. Medical, psychological, and/or other appropriate diagnostic evaluations serve to document the nature and extent of the student’s disability, as well as its impact on the student in an academic environment.

Once documentation has been submitted, the student must contact the disAbility Services Advisor to schedule an appointment to complete the necessary request for accommodations forms. At this time, the disAbility Services Advisor and the student will discuss appropriate accommodations, how to access available services, and the advisor will answer any questions the student may have.

What type of documentation is needed?

The type of documentation required may vary depending on the nature of the disability, but generally should include the following information:
  1. A diagnostic statement identifying the disability, date of the current diagnostic evaluation, and date of the original diagnosis.

  2. A description of the diagnostic criteria and/or diagnostic test(s) used.

  3. A description of the current functional impact of the disability.

  4. Treatments, medications, and/or assistive devices currently prescribed or in use.

  5. A description of the expected progression or stability of the impact of the disability over time.

  6. The credentials of the diagnosing professional.

(from Lissner, L. Scott; DAIS Public Library.)

In addition to the above listed information, recommendations for specific accommodations may also be considered. Documentation should be current, preferably within the past three to five years. The age of acceptable documentation is dependent upon the nature of the disabling condition and the accommodation(s) requested. Appropriate accommodations will be determined by the disAbility Services Advisor using information from documentation received and through an interview with the student. Current forms of the following documentation may be submitted:

  • A medical/psychological disability verification form (available from the DSS office) completed by a qualified professional OR
  • A letter or report from a qualified professional on office letterhead and signed by a qualified professional OR
  • A high school IEP AND psychological assessment (the IEP alone is not sufficient documentation)

Detailed SRC documentation requirements based on disability type can be found at the following link:
Documentation requirements by disability type

Can I receive accommodations on the placement test?

Depending on the nature of a student’s disability, accommodations may be provided for the placement test (Compass). If a student believes he/she is in need of accommodations for placement testing, he/she needs to contact a disAbility Services Advisor and provide current documentation verifying a disability prior to the testing date.


 Contact Information


Services to students with disabilities are available at any Spoon River College location.  Students may contact the disAbility Services Advisor at (309) 649-6305.