The SRC Community Chorus was formed in 2005 by Carol Davis, Dean of Community and Workforce Education, to (1) provide quality entertainment within the Spoon River College District; (2) provide an avenue for local talents to perform; and (3) raise funds to support the SRC Foundation's scholarship program and performing arts/equipment at SRC. A generous grant from the Community Foundation of Central Illinois assisted in the group's establishment.
Over 200 individuals -- students, central Illinois community members, SRC faculty and staff, and friends of the college -- have participated in the last 13 years as musicians, technicians, singers, actors, and dancers. Membership/participation is open to anyone with a love of performance. The performances take place place in the SRC Theater in Taylor Hall on the Canton Campus, at venues offering dinner theater opportunities, at local churches, and other facilities.
The chorus has established the Harley L. Davis Memorial Scholarship, the Tom Greenwell Memorial Scholarship, the Marge Saville Memorial Scholarship, the Roger Howerter Memorial Scholarship, and the Gail A. Mathis Memorial Scholarship. A sixth named, endowed scholarship, the Vicki Murphy Memorial Scholarship, is currently being funded.
Membership/participation is open to anyone with a love of performance. Contact Carol Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com; or Colin Davis, SRC Foundation Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (309) 649-6395.
Tickets on Sale for SRC Chorus Winter Concert
Tickets are now on sale for the Spoon River College Community Chorus concert Winter Tales and Tunes. The concert will be performed on December 1 and 2, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. at the First Christian Church in Canton. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased by calling 649-6260 or by email request to email@example.com.
"This concert will delight audiences of all ages," said John Davis, director. "We will continue to offer a wide variety of songs but this year we have added new musical genres and special features to the performances. The concert will also highlight a new arrangement of Hold On from the musical The Secret Garden by Richard Etter, featuring Carla Bobell as soloist."
Chorus members include Tori Albanito, Bruce Beal, Patrick Bell, Loren Blackfelner, Carla Bobell, Gloria Bradford, Janice Dare Bruster, Bill Burkhead, Debbie Burkhead, Bob Champlin, Carol Davis, Colin Davis, Jackie Davis, Richard Etter, Jim Gage, Karen Garman, Jeanine Gaumer, Angela Hale, Bob Heppenstahl, Sherry Hilton, Susan Juliusson, Carol Kohler, Leta Krock, Lindsey Larson, Aja Lawson, Wendy Martin, Sue Maurice, Susie McMillen, Jeanette McWhorter, Trygve Meade, Janet Munson, Chad Murphy, Dave Norton, Kris Olson, Natalie Orwig, Kathy Phillips, Jo Potter Keen, Ginny Reter, Peggy Roberts, Ron Rupe, Elliyah Sale, Karen Shaw, Becky Silva, Alex Smith, Ron Smith, Sue Smith, Jean Sprecher, Jeanine Standard, John Stanko, Pat Stanko, Doris Taylor, Kenny Taylor, Michael Varnes, Melissa Walker, Tammy Weaver, JoEllyn Welch, Lauren Wilcoxen, and Pam Willison. Featured musicians are Gretchen Fuller on piano, Tom Sandman on percussion, and Drew Ponder on bass.
A pre-show of chimes and handbells will delight audience members as they arrive. Chime players are members of Trinity Lutheran Church and directed by Jean Sprecher. Handbells, directed by Pat Stanko, are played by Jo Potter Keen, Dee Doubet, Trygve Meade, Natalie Orwig, Bea Meeker, Janet Munson, Debbie Burkhead, Elliyah Sale, Sue Smith, Karen Garman, Kris Olson, and Jean Sprecher.
December 2018 also marks milestone anniversaries of two enduring holiday pieces. The classic novel A Christmas Carol marks its 175th anniversary and to celebrate the Chorus has added a theatrical element in which Mr. Charles Dickens and Ebenezer Scrooge appear. The month will also celebrate the 200th anniversary of Franz Gruber's Silent Night. First Christian Church will resound with all voices, choral and audience, singing the beloved carol together.
Visit www.src.edu/foundation and click on the SRC Community Chorus link, Like us on Facebook, or contact Carol Davis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter Tales and Tunes (December 1 and 2, 2018)
- We welcome all to be part of our winter concert, with performances on December 1 & 2; no auditions are required. Rehearsals begin Thursday, September 20.
- In addition to our focus on classical, traditional, and contemporary songs of winter and the holidays, this year we are adding a few new components to keep things fresh and alive. Even Charles Dickens and Mr. Scrooge will be there!
- Contact Carol Davis (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for rehearsal schedule and more information).
Mini-Concert with Barry Cloyd (February 10, 2019)
- Barry is an award-winning singer/songwriter from Central Illinois who performs throughout the United States and beyond.
- The mini-concert will feature songs of the Illinois Rivers, with a special nod to the Spoon River (Spoon River College, you know...).
- Check out Barry on Facebook, or go to his website, http://barrycloyd.com.
Guys and Dolls (June 27-30, 2019)
- Everyone is welcome to be part of this classic production. We need actors, singers, musicians, technicians, choreographers, costumers, set builders/painters -- it's a big, old musical, so there is a place for everyone.
- Work is already beginning behind the scenes.
- For more information, contact Carol Davis (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Concerts and Productions since 2005:
The SRC Community Chorus presents 2-3 concerts, revues, plays, and musicals each year. To date, the list includes:
- 50 Years of Broadway
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- A Golden Holiday
- Broadway, Too
- Songs for the Season
- A Joyous Jubilee
- Cole, Irving, George, & Jerome
- An American Choral Mosaic
- A Winter Tapestry
- Lincoln's America
- Broadway, Start to Finish
- Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Songs and Snowflakes
- Handel's Messiah (twice)
- Winter Wonders
- Man of La Mancha
- Mass Theatrical*
- Pirates of Penzance
- Hotel Holidaze*
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
- 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- Bleacher Bums
- A Tuna Christmas
*Denotes an original production written by a member of the SRC Community Chorus
A Piano Potpourri (February 2018)
Songs and Snowflakes (December 2017)
Vanities (August 2017)
A Joyous Jubilee (December 2016)
Bleacher Bums (September 2016)
Hotel Holidaze (March 2016)
25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (June 2015)
Quilters (Sept. 2014)
BROADWAY: Start to Finish (March 2014)
Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Nov. 2013)
Man of La Mancha (July 2013)
You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown (May 2013)
The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber (Feb. 2013)
Messiah (Dec. 2012)
Cole, Irving, George and Jerome (Feb. 2012)
Mass Theatrical (Feb. 2011)
Lincoln's America (Nov. 2010)
Holiday Show (Dec. 2009)