The SRC Community Chorus was formed in 2005 by Carol Davis, Dean of Community and Workforce Education, to (1) provide quality entertainment within the Spoon River College District; (2) provide an avenue for local talents to perform; and (3) raise funds to support the SRC Foundation's scholarship program and performing arts/equipment at SRC. A generous grant from the Community Foundation of Central Illinois assisted in the group's establishment.
Over 200 individuals -- students, central Illinois community members, SRC faculty and staff, and friends of the college -- have participated in the last 13 years as musicians, technicians, singers, actors, and dancers. Membership/participation is open to anyone with a love of performance. The performances take place place in the SRC Theater in Taylor Hall on the Canton Campus, at venues offering dinner theater opportunities, at local churches, and other facilities.
The chorus has established the Harley L. Davis Memorial Scholarship, the Tom Greenwell Memorial Scholarship, the Marge Saville Memorial Scholarship, the Roger Howerter Memorial Scholarship, and the Gail A. Mathis Memorial Scholarship. A sixth named, endowed scholarship, the Vicki Murphy Memorial Scholarship, is currently being funded.
Membership/participation is open to anyone with a love of performance. Contact Carol Davis at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Colin Davis, SRC Foundation Director, at email@example.com or (309) 649-6395.
Winter Tales and Tunes (December 1 and 2, 2018)
- We welcome all to be part of our winter concert, with performances on December 1 & 2; no auditions are required. Rehearsals begin Thursday, September 20.
- In addition to our focus on classical, traditional, and contemporary songs of winter and the holidays, this year we are adding a few new components to keep things fresh and alive. Even Charles Dickens and Mr. Scrooge will be there!
- Contact Carol Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for rehearsal schedule and more information).
Mini-Concert with Barry Cloyd (February 10, 2019)
- Barry is an award-winning singer/songwriter from Central Illinois who performs throughout the United States and beyond.
- The mini-concert will feature songs of the Illinois Rivers, with a special nod to the Spoon River (Spoon River College, you know...).
- Check out Barry on Facebook, or go to his website, http://barrycloyd.com.
Guys and Dolls (June 27-30, 2019)
- Everyone is welcome to be part of this classic production. We need actors, singers, musicians, technicians, choreographers, costumers, set builders/painters -- it's a big, old musical, so there is a place for everyone.
- Work is already beginning behind the scenes.
- For more information, contact Carol Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
Concerts and Productions since 2005
The SRC Community Chorus presents 2-3 concerts, revues, plays, and musicals each year. To date, the list includes:
- 50 Years of Broadway
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- A Golden Holiday
- Broadway, Too
- Songs for the Season
- A Joyous Jubilee
- Cole, Irving, George, & Jerome
- An American Choral Mosaic
- A Winter Tapestry
- Lincoln's America
- Broadway, Start to Finish
- Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Songs and Snowflakes
- Handel's Messiah (twice)
- Winter Wonders
- Man of La Mancha
- Mass Theatrical*
- Pirates of Penzance
- Hotel Holidaze*
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
- 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- Bleacher Bums
- A Tuna Christmas
*Denotes an original production written by a member of the SRC Community Chorus
A Piano Potpourri (February 2018)
Songs and Snowflakes (December 2017)
Vanities (August 2017)
A Joyous Jubilee (December 2016)
Bleacher Bums (September 2016)
Hotel Holidaze (March 2016)
25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (June 2015)
Quilters (Sept. 2014)
BROADWAY: Start to Finish (March 2014)
Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Nov. 2013)
Man of La Mancha (July 2013)
You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown (May 2013)
The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber (Feb. 2013)
Messiah (Dec. 2012)
Cole, Irving, George and Jerome (Feb. 2012)
Mass Theatrical (Feb. 2011)
Lincoln's America (Nov. 2010)
Holiday Show (Dec. 2009)