A high school diploma is great; but you've got bigger plans -- like moving out someday -- and you'll need the training and education to reach your goals.
We think Spoon River College is a great place for high school students. We know that you have a lot of options to choose from and that making a decision can be hard. But let us tell you why we think Spoon River College is the right choice for you.
- You can take college classes with us while you're still in high school and earn high school credit at the same time.
- Our general education courses transfer to any Illinois public four-year university and many private colleges.
- By going to Spoon River College for your first two years, you can live at home, go to school, work, and save a considerable amount over going away to school.
- Because of our small size, your college experience with us is a personal experience. Our faculty will know you by name; our staff can give you personalized attention; you can get involved and not get lost in the crowd.
- Maybe you don't want to go to a four-year school. That's o.k. Get a two-year associate degree to increase your earning potential or choose from one our career programs and learn the skills you need for the job you'll love.
After reviewing the helpful resources below, you will be ready to visit our
Admissions page and get started on a great future!
Early Start for HS Students | Getting Ready for College | Career Planning Tools |
Transferring of SRC Courses | Pathways to Results
Advanced Placement (AP)
The Advanced Placement (AP) program and associated exams are offered in high schools. Students who have participated in the AP program at their high school may be eligible to receive college credit and placement into advanced courses at Spoon River College by demonstrating proficiency in various subject areas. Official advanced placement exam scores must be sent directly from CollegeBoard to the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar at Spoon River College for evaluation.
Students will be awarded credit as indicated below. In subject areas for which Spoon River College does not have an equivalent course, elective credit may be given for scores of 3 or higher.
For questions regarding the awarding of AP credit at Spoon River College, please contact the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar at (309)649-6273.
|Subject||AP Score||SRC Course||Credit Hours Granted|
|ARTS|| || || |
|Studio Art-2D||3 or higher||ART101||3|
|Studio Art-3D||3 or higher||ART102||3|
|Studio Art-Drawing||3 or higher||ART111||3|
|Art History||3 or higher||ART122/ART123||3/3|
|ENGLISH|| || || |
|English Language & Composition||3 or higher||ENG101||3|
|English Literature & Composition||3 or higher||ENG101||3|
|SOCIAL SCIENCES|| || || |
|Microeconomics||3 or higher||BUS250||3|
|Macroeconomics||3 or higher||BUS251||3|
|European History||3 or higher||HIS160/161||3/3|
|Human Geography||3 or higher||GEO100||3|
|Psychology||3 or higher||PSY130||3|
|U.S. Government & Politics||3 or higher||POL180||3|
|U.S. History||3 or higher||HIS260/261||3/3|
|MATH & COMPUTER SCIENCE|| || || |
|Calculus (AB & BC)||3||MAT151 w/advanced placement in MAT152*||5 *Before credit is awarded, faculty will interview student for specific course credit & placement|
|Calculus (AB & BC)||4 or 5||MAT151/152*||5/5 *Before credit is awarded, faculty will interview student for specific course credit & placement|
|Statistics||3 or higher||MAT132||3|
|Computer Science Principles||3 or higher||CIS108||3|
|SCIENCES|| || || |
|Biology||3 or higher||BIO105||4|
|Biology||4 or 5||BIO105/BIO102||4/4|
|Chemistry||4 or 5||CHE170/CHE180||5/5|
|Environmental Science||3 or higher||BIO140||3|
|Physics C: Mechanics||3 or higher||PH 121||4|
|Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism||3 or higher||PH 122||4|
|Physics 1||3 or higher||PH 111||4|
|Physics 2||3 or higher||PH 112||4|
|WORLD LANGUAGES & CULTURE|| || || |
|Spanish Language & Culture||3 or higher||SPA201/202||4/4|