Diesel & Power Systems Technology
For more than 40 years, Spoon River College has offered education and training in the ever-changing field of diesel power technology and its related applications. The SRC program takes great pride in the fact that students are exposed to a wide variety of brands of diesel equipment. The two-year program has prepared hundreds of students for employment in the fast-paced industry of diesel power.
Certificates and Degrees
- Associate in Applied Science Degree
- Preventive Maintenance Certificate
Nature of Work
Diesel and power systems service technicians repair and maintain the diesel engines that power transportation equipment such as heavy trucks, buses, locomotives and marine systems. Some diesel technicians also work on bulldozers, cranes, road graders, farm tractors and combines. Service technicians are expected to diagnose and repair machinery. Much of this work is done in a shop but some may be done in the field for on-the-spot repairs. This program is part of the Transportation, Distribution & Logistics Career Cluster.
- Implement dealership service technician
- Diesel repair shop owner/operator
- Diesel and power systems research and development
- Locomotive service technician
- Marine service technician
- Trucking company service technician