Commercial Driver Training
The Commercial Driver Training (CDT) certificate program is designed to offer individuals basic knowledge of the principles, techniques and skills necessary for safe, efficient operation of tractor-trailer vehicles. The curriculum includes: CDL permit preparation; hazardous materials training; U.S. Department of Transportation federal regulations, logging and trip planning. Students completing this program are prepared for entry-level driving positions within the trucking industry. Extensive hands-on driving experience both on the range and on the road is also included. The CDT classes ensure students have a broad-based knowledge of the concepts and skills necessary to become safe, efficient commercial drivers.
Commercial Driver Training Facility
- Located at 1240 S. 4th Avenue, Canton, Illinois
- Direct line: (309) 647-2794
- 10-hour Basic Commercial Driver Training Certificate
- 17-hour Commercial Driver Training Certificate
Nature of Work
Businesses rely on truck drivers for the delivery and pickup of goods. Even if goods travel in part by ship, train or airplane; trucks carry nearly all goods at some point in their journey from producer to consumer. Before transporting a load, truck drivers inspect the vehicle and make sure their cargo is secure. Drivers report equipment that is inoperable, missing or loaded improperly to the dispatcher. The length of each transport may vary. Local drivers may provide daily service for a specific route while other drivers travel throughout various regions of the country. This program is part of the Transportation, Distribution & Logistics Career Cluster.
- Over-the-road driver
- Long distance driver
- Local delivery driver
- Fleet service technician
- Fleet manager
- Trucking dispatcher
Funding Sources for CDT
Illinois Veteran & National Guard Grant - Contact Rick Duvendack, SRC Veteran’s Advisor (309)649-6267.
Bank Loans - Contact your local bank for personal loan information or go to wellsfargo.com/student/loans/undergrad/education.
Many trucking companies offer 100% tuition reimbursement programs as part of their benefit package.
- This program is offered as a sign-on bonus to attract new drivers
- Tuition reimbursement usually begins after the student has been on the job for 90 days
- The program pays you back at a rate of approximately $100.00 per month as long as you are employed
- There are no contracts to sign & no obligation to stay
- Current companies offering the full tuition reimbursement are: Sharkey Transport, DOT Foods, Roehl Transport, Paschall Truck Lines, & USA Truck Inc
- Call Spoon River College for more details: (309) 647-2794
Pell Grants, MAP Grants, & Stafford Loans are NOT available for CDL training.
Career Link Grant
- Career Link - Fulton County 111 N. Main St. Canton, IL. 61520 (309)647-2946
- Career Link - Mason County 230 W. Main St. Havana, IL. 62644 (309)543-1035
- Career Link - Peoria County 115 S.W. Adams, Room 114 Peoria, IL 61602 (309)999-4592
- Career Link - Tazwell County 2956 Court St. Sunset Plaza Pekin, IL 61554 (309)347-8492
- Cass County JTPA 201 State St. Beardstown, IL. 62618 (217)323-5844
- Job Service - Tazwell County 200 S. 2nd St. Suite 10 Pekin, IL. 61555 (800)662-1882
Workforce Investment Grant
- 311 E. Main - Suite 612, Galesburg, IL. 61401 (309)343-9832
- 440 N. Lafayette Macomb, IL. 61455 (309)837-1280
- 620 S. Main St. Monmouth, IL. 61462 (309)734-4745
- 206 S.W. Cross Mount Sterling, IL. 62353 (217)773-3141
- 503 Schuyler St. Oquawka, IL. 61469 (800)577-7946
- 211 Fulton Pl. Peoria, IL. 61602 (309)343-3100
- 114 N. Congress Rushville, IL. 62681 (217)322-6916
- 115 S. Franklin St. Toulon, IL. 61483 (309)301-4043
Illinois Department of Human Services Grant
Must have a mental, physical, learning, or social disability/impairment or recovering addiction to qualify.
- 477 E. Main St. Galesburg, IL. 61401 (309)343-2193
- 1200-1 W. Jackson Macomb, IL. 61455 (309)833-4573
- 2970 Court St. Pekin, IL. 61554 (309)353-5996
- 535 W. Jefferson Springfield, IL. 62702 (217)782-4830
Illinois Migrant Council Grant
For former agriculture workers within the last 2 years
- 115 S.W. Adams Street, Room 007 Peoria, IL 61602 (309)999-4257