Spoon River College was founded in 1959 as Canton Community College and was reorganized in 1968 as Spoon River College.
Spoon River College serves 4,300 credit students per year in a 1,566 square miles area including portions of Fulton, McDonough, Mason, Schuyler and Knox counties.
- 2008 Assessed Valuation $733 million
- 2008 Taxes Levied $3.75 million
- 2008 Tax Rate .5121 per $100 EAV
- Enrollment Statistics (2008-2009)
- 4,366 credit students per year
- 1,812 non-credit students per year
- The College awarded 398 certificates and degrees in 2008-2009
- The College draws the majority of its students from: Fulton County; McDonough County; Mason County; Schuyler County.
- The college employs 36 full-time faculty and approximately 139 part-time faculty.
- Spoon River College and the SRC Foundation provide financial assistance to over 100 students each year through grants, loans, student work study programs, and scholarships.
- The Office of Community Outreach provides customized training for numerous businesses throughout the district each year. Since 2000, thousands of individuals have received individualized workforce training either through the WorkKeys program, customized training, and professional certification programs.
- Over $3.5 million per year in financial aid brought into the district.